Why Do We Raise Our Hands to Worship God?

 


I want to share a few thoughts on why we lift our arms and hands to the sky when we are worshiping God. My husband Jerry told me a story many years ago that I wanted to share. He was only 15 years old when he got saved and he was the ONLY ONE in his entire family too. His family did not understand him, and most rejected him because he had changed so much, but his mother, Dolly always loved her first born son and tried to stay kind and loving and remain involved in his life even though she wasn't interested in the things of the Lord herself. To make conversation one day his mother asked him why he raised his arms to the sky when he was singing to the Lord. I thought, good question. I mean unbelievers see this and think we are nuts... lol At the time he was newly saved and didn't really know how to answer her. He was just pretty much doing what he saw others do in his church services and he felt in his heart that it was right.

His unsaved mother then said to him, "Oh, I always figured it was because you were becoming like a child who raises their arms to their father wanting to be lifted up." Wow! He'd never seen it that way, but it is still today a beautiful picture for sure. We lift our hearts, our arms and our hands to our Father in Heaven because we love Him and we want to tell Him that, but also, she was so right. We are truly asking to be lifted up. Amen! 

Also a few months back I heard Robin D. Bullock sharing something about our fingerprints. I may have already mentioned this because it impacted me so greatly because it again had to do with lifting our hands to the skies, but Robin said that each of us (over 8 billion now) have different fingerprints given to us by the Lord. We believe somehow that they are for catching criminals simply because they differentiate us from each other, but that is not the real reason God gave us fingerprints. Robin said that God showed him that He gave us fingerprints because they are a map & show Him the destiny of our lives that God Himself has given to us. It's like a blueprint that God created for each of us individually. Jeremiah 29:11 says, For I know the plans I have for you,” says the LORD. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. When we raise our hands, He sees those tiny little lines which He created before He formed us in the belly, and what we call fingerprints to Him is actually a reminder of the destiny that He set before us. When He sees us from Heaven worshiping with our hearts lifted toward Him and our arms and hands raised, He sees the imprint of the destiny that He created us for and that He alone set before us.

Hebrews 8:10

I WILL IMPRINT MY LAWS UPON THEIR MINDS [even upon their innermost thoughts and understanding],

AND ENGRAVE THEM UPON THEIR HEARTS [effecting their regeneration].

AND I WILL BE THEIR GOD,

AND THEY SHALL BE MY PEOPLE.


Deuteronomy 11:18

Imprint these words of mine on your hearts and minds, bind them as a sign on your hands, and let them be a symbol on your foreheads.


Isaiah 49:16

Behold, I have indelibly imprinted (tattooed a picture of) you on the palm of each of My hands; [O Zion] your walls are continually before Me.


Posted directly to 'It's Going to be Biblical' Daily Encouragement on July 19, 2024 before posting here to the blog.


Sheryl L. York


Subscribe to my Newsletters

Comments

Popular Posts

My Second Eagle Dream - March 19, 2024

The Eagle Dream - November 14, 2022

Have you ever tried to help God? Blog